Recently as a ZIN (Zumba Instructor) I was part of the Zumbathon For Eli of a really rare disease FOP which turns muscles into Bones either after an injury or as you get older.The best part is research is being done and there is indeed hope to improve the quality of life.
Use of social media to create awareness was phenomenal. Technology put to use.This led me to revisit the post I had written couple years ago on Technology on Pedestal, how can technology can make your life better.
“Assistive technology is an umbrella term that includes assistive, adaptive, and rehabilitative devices for people with disabilities and also includes the process used in selecting, locating, and using them. Assistive technology promotes greater independence by enabling people to perform tasks that they were formerly unable to accomplish, or had great difficulty accomplishing, by providing enhancements to, or changing methods of interacting with, the technology needed to accomplish such tasks.”
This is the where the technology makes difference to the lives of people. Lot of technology used right now is nice to have, but when the same technology is used to give meaning to life, then technology is worth putting on pedestal.
Satya Nadella CEO of Microsoft says”I think empathy is everything. If you think about even in the business context for us, our job is to meet the unmet, unarticulated needs of customers. That’s where innovation comes from. There’s no way we could innovate without having the deeper sense of empathy”
Here are aspects of latest technology that you would encourage you to be a supporter of technology and innovation
- Facebook /Blogs– There is Social Media and the whole generation is hooked on it. The same Facebook has so many closed groups that brings communities with a common goal closer. The therapies, the success and failure just give you the much needed hope and awareness of what else can I do to improve the quality of life for those rare disease or diagnosis.
- Online Business– For those looking to have an income from home, the Social Media and the sites make it feasible to have an online business and make a decent living
- Tracking Devices– Tracking device to track your loved ones or monitor their health remotely
- Home Automation for Disabled– Light and Sensor devices for security, healthcare, reminders and regular help make life independent and simpler for many
- Online connect– Ability to connect with Like-minded people to reduce loneliness and isolation
- Eye gazing Technology – Ability to navigate the wheelchair with your eyes ( feature of Windows 10)
Microsoft Corporation’s C.E.O. Steve Ballmer once said, “The number one benefit of technology is that it empowers people to do what they want to do. It lets people be creative. It lets people be productive. It lets people learn things they didn’t think they could learn before, and so in a sense it is all about potential” (BrainyQuote 2007). So let’s unleash the power of technology in the right sense!
How has technology helped you ?